Tuesday, September 4, 2012


Notes and Links from a lazy day surfing yesterday

Yesterday I downloaded Google Currents to my tablet and starting getting caught up on all the news and interesting things that people are thinking about.  Before I knew it three hours had gone by and I had forgotten to eat breakfast.  Currents is a collection of free online magazines and rss feeds. I was amazed at how many magazines were available and how many I would likely read on a daily basis.  I added Fast Company, 500px, Smithsonian, Green Car Reports, and PRI to name just a few.  On top of all the magazine articles Currents also provides a customized top trending news stories listing (much like Google News).  I enjoyed getting lost in my new stack of magazines and newspapers and about 1 hr in I started to take notes of other things I wanted to look up or people I wanted to reach out to.  Here is a snipet of my notes.

  • Learn from Anytime Fitness how to be an enlightened company where the people that work there "love their job".  Are You a Level 5 Company
  • What is Gecko from Mozilla and why would I put it on my phone?  
  • What are the top 10 Electric Vehicle cities in the US based on count of charging stations in total (data of DoE).  Out of the totle 4364 stations here is the top 10 cities.
    1. Chicago (92)
    2. Portland (80)
    3. LA (75)
    4. Orlando (75)
    5. Austin (73)
    6. Houston (65)
    7. SF (64)
    8. Seattle (62)
    9. Honolulu (59)
    10. NYC (57)
  • Send my friend Paul an email regarding the articles that quoted him in the Green Car Reports magazine- Nice job Paul!
  • Look up the difference between Google BigQuery and HADOOP
  • Learn more about Nokia Maps and why they are being chosen over Google maps.  Also what about UpNext, a mapping company that recently was purchased by Amazon
  • Share the info on the Java Zero Day flaw with friends at work.
  • How cool is OpenStreetMap... Can it be used to perform routing functions
  • 90% of top paid iOS apps have been hacked.... dont feel bad Apple, 100% of the top paid Android apps have been hacked.

No comments: